So, I finally made the shampoo, according to the Frugally sustainable recipe and following the steps of the hot process description at Mendrulandia. I found the process quite easy (although at some point I thought something went wrong and my attempt won’t succeed), although I very prefer the cold stuff, which by the way don’t need extra gas or electricity.
I also prefer how the cold process soaps look like. However, hot process have a really interesting advantage: soap is immediately ready for use (although it’s better that it rests for a week in order to loose all the extra water). I measured PH during the process and stop to “cook” the soap when it reached 7-8. After 4-5 hours I unmolded the batch and an hour after I cut it into bars.
Next time I would like to try the “Cold Process-Oven Process“, although I have to think which recipient I could use as a mold. It seems quite less messy and soaps have a prettier aspect.
I took some photos of the process (I’ll try to be more accurate next time).
Oils and butters.
Lye, water and coconut oil mixture (not sure if I misunderstood something at this point)
Shampoo as it was when I put it in the oven.
Finished shampoo hardening in the mold.
Ph stripe after last meassurement (7-8)
Some cut bars
And my camera ran out of battery, so, more photos maybe tomorrow. You will see that the bars are more “rustical” than those of cold process, but I hope it works so well as them. If you tried it you can tell me or leave a comment below.
Final picture comes in a separate post since I’m not capable to add it here.
Zutaten: Kokosöl, Olivenöl, Kokosnussmilch, Rhizinusöl, Wasser, Natronlauge, Jojobaöl, Sheabutter, Kakaobutter, Bienenwachs, ätherische Ööle. (Bergamote, Lemongrass, Orange and Patchouli)